It is located in the centre of San Daniele, wonderful expression of the Friulian art of a period between Renaissance and Middle Ages.
Inside you will find the most beautiful renaissance frescoes of the region made by Martino da Udine better known as “Pellegrino da San Daniele”.
He painted the Crucifixion on the back wall, Prophets on choir vault and on the intrados. He painted Evangelists ever on the choir vault. The histories of Christ and of Saint Antonio have been painted on the choir walls and on the triumphant choir.
Two of the lateral windows are original from the 1487.
The “Piccola Cappella Sistina del Friuli”, so is often called, were equipped with the new Gothic facade together with the wonderful rose window and the stone portal in the 1470 made by an unknown artist.
The Guarneriana Library is surely one of the most ancient in Italy and the first in Friuli Venezia Giulia.
In the 1446 Guarnerio d’Artegna offered to the church of San Michele all his manuscripts codices with the will that the books will be preserved in a place where it would be possible learn and read.
The codices have been preserved almost unaltered over the time forming one of the most interesting book resources of the Italian humanism.
Among the most prestigious codices there is the Byzantine Bible with the miniatures which represent an interesting meeting among the Western and Levantines elements.
In the 1736 the collection was enhanced thanks to the donation of the Monsignor Giusto Fontanini that financed the construction of the library in wood.
Here there is a codex that includes the Inferno Dantesco. In the 1700s-1800s the community of San Daniele bough other new codices elevating the library. Among these codices there is the Canzoniere and I Trionfi of Petrarca of the 1400s.
It was visited by illustrious people like Foscolo, Nievo and Carducci.
In the historical centre of San Daniele there is the cathedral devoted to San Michele Arcangelo, it represents the principal house of Catholic worship of the community and it has been built between 1737 – 1806 according several projects and gradual interventions of various architects.
The facade has been realised in the 1703 by Domenico Rossi, according to a Baroque style with some neoclassical elements. In the 1721 the presbytery, the transept and the lateral chapels have been constructed according the design of Luca Andrioli, meanwhile the completion of the central part has required almost a half-century according the project of Carlo Corbellini.
Inside the church there are some valuable artistic works like the painting of Santissima Trinità and the baptismal font of the XVI century. There are also some sketches of Tiepolo who was present at that time in this area.
A church of a very ancient origin placed in the centre of the town. It has been constructed in the 1348 against one of the city fortified towers of the X–XI century. Now the fortified tower is part of the original apse.
The elegant gate of the church is sumptuously adorned with a bas relief of Giorgio da Corona. It belongs to the stone facade of the second half of the 400s.
Donato da Lugano realized the double-arched window of the bell tower in the 1501 that is on the top of the principal facade.
Inside the church there are a XV century fresco illustrating some scenes of “Caccia con il Falcone” and an altar of the XVII century.
On via Roma in front of the bell tower there is an ancient house with porches that belongs to the treasures of San Daniele.
It represents the only structure still remained of the ancient medieval village.
A very strong and lucky building; as a matter of fact, it survived to the terrible and catastrophic seismic occurrence of the 1976 and also to the bombing of the second world war.
After these occurrences the Casa del Trecento, was totally restored and became part of the National Monuments.
In the past it was the seat of the Pawnshop of San Daniele del Friuli.
Now here finds place the “La Sala Esposizione Cimeli Storici Militari”, handled from the national Association of Alpini of San Daniele, a museum that exposes a private collection of relics and objects connected to the Alpini and which were used to military purpose during different historical period.
The porta Gemona of San Daniele del Friuli has been built in the 1579 according to the project of Andrea Palladio, one of the most important architects of the XVI-XVII century, it belonged to the defensive system of the castle in medieval times.
Palladio has never followed in person the project in San Daniele because the choice to entrust him with the project and the construction was of the Venetian cardinal Giovanni Grimini and not of town people. The cardinal wanted him for the project for his high value.
The structure was inspired by the Arco Bollani of Udine, that is also a Palladio’s work. It presents itself like a round arch inserted in the defensive turret which in the past had the aim to observe the surrounding land and it has been preserved in a very good state until now.